Students in online programs need access to and use of a computer and software.
As a student in D'Youville's online programs, you are required to have use of a computer (laptop or desktop). You must also have basic knowledge of Microsoft Office and how to navigate the internet with a browser.
Computer (Hardware & Peripherals) Requirements
For network integrity and support purposes D'Youville College policy requires that all computers used on the campus network meet minimum requirements for hardware and software. Your computers should also have the following components:
- sound card
- web camera capable of video web conferencing
- inkjet or laser printer
Software and applications
- Operating system (Windows or Mac OS)
- Microsoft Office* (Version 2007 and current)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader [Download from Adobe]
*Open Office is not acceptable.
- Internet Explorer [Download the latest version from Microsoft]
Plugins & Players
- Java [Download from Oracle]
- Adobe Shockwave Player [Download from Adobe]
- Adobe Flash Player [Download from Adobe]
- VLC media player [Download from VideoLan]
- Windows Media Player classic [Download from MPC-HC]
- Apple QuickTime Player [Download from Apple]
Internet Chat Client
An internet relay chat client (IRC) provides real-time Internet chat.
A broadband (cable or DSL) connection is required for videoconferencing and testing.