Puerto Rican Families Welcomed by D'Youville
On Thursday, October 4, D’Youville will host a Welcome Neighbors event from 4 PM to 7 PM for local families from Puerto Rico who were affected by Hurricane Maria in 2017. National Grid will co-host the event being held to celebrate both National Hispanic Heritage Month as well as National Disaster Preparedness Month.
Families living in Buffalo will have opportunities to meet with local and national organizations and social groups to assist with finding resources. Connections for school supplies, winter preparedness, educational opportunities, health meal preparation, public transportation and housing initiatives will all be available. There will also be family friendly activities as well as a performance by Amor and Heritage.
A panel discussion held from 5 PM – 6 PM focusing on strong communities and household preparedness. Topics will include the local hazards likely to affect your household and community; establishing relationships with people in your community; forming a household plan in the event of a disaster; and communication with the community and where to obtain important information. Panelists include:
- Lorrie Clemo, President of D’Youville College
- Lauren Clay PhD, Assistant Professor, Health Services Administration
- Glenn Aichinger, Director of Electric Emergency Planning, National Grid (New York State)
- Jeremiah Belknap, Manager, Overhead Lines, National Grid
- Tracy Fricano Chalmers, Regional Coordinator, Erie County Department of Health
Marketing & Communications Department