D'Youville Purchases Former Gateway-Longview Building
Buffalo, New York – November 12, 2012 – D'Youville College has purchased the former Gateway-Longview headquarters building at 605 Niagara Street for $730,000. The corner property, close to the college's main campus on Porter Avenue, fronts on Niagara Street and encompasses a major portion of the block on Jersey Street and Prospect Avenue on Buffalo's West Side.
The college has no specific plans at this time as to its use according to D. John Bray, Director of Public Relations at the college. "Depending on our needs, the facility will eventually be used for classrooms, offices and possible teaching laboratories for healthcare programs," he said. "Before that, major renovations will be necessary."
The multi-story building was constructed in stages from 1890 to 1940 and has approximately 65,000 square feet. It was originally constructed for the Buffalo Deaconess Home of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1890 and later housed the Protestant Home for Unprotected Children in 1917. The original building was the Letchworth Mansion.
It consists of offices, kitchen, classrooms, visitations rooms, conference rooms, and a gym. There is a 70 car off-street parking lot in the rear of the building that is accessible from Prospect Avenue.
D'Youville already owns a building a few doors down from the Gateway-Longview building at 631 Niagara Street that houses various college offices including the Alumni Association, Institutional Advancement, Public Relations, Publications, and Human Resources.
Gateway-Longview, Inc., a child and family service organization, moved to its new headquarters at 10 Symphony Circle in Buffalo in 2011.
McGuire Development Real Estate Service Group served as broker for the sale.
Marketing & Communications Department