Rendering of ASE Building (Niagara View) Rendering of ASE Building (Prospect Street View) Rendering of First Floor Cafe, ASE Building Rendering of Lab Wing Atrium, ASE Building Rendering Lab Looking from Atrium, ASE Building Rendering Second Level Common Space, ASE Building

DYC begins a $20 Million Academic Building Renovation

Buffalo, New York – February 6, 2014 – D’Youville College has started renovation work on the former Gateway-Longview headquarters building at 606 Niagara Street with asbestos removal almost completed. Selective demolition will immediately follow making way for the construction of the college’s new 85,000 square foot Arts, Sciences and Education building.

The $20 million state-of-the-art building is scheduled to open for classes in August 2015, according to college officials.

 

 

The new facility will house health care and computer laboratories, “smart” classrooms, and faculty offices in the 60,000 square foot structure. An existing 50 car parking lot located behind the building on Prospect Avenue will be retained for student, faculty and staff use.

D’Youville purchased the multi-storied building in November 2012.

The two-acre site encompasses a major portion of the block on Niagara Street bordered by Jersey Street and Prospect Avenue, close to D’Youville’s main campus on nearby Porter Avenue.

“We will refurbish the 25,000 square foot structure that was built in 1928 bordering Jersey Street and demolish the remainder of the building,” said Edward P. Cogan, associate vice president for operations and construction at D’Youville.

“I’m pleased we will be saving the brick façade of the original keystone building located in the center of the multi-sectioned complex that had been constructed in stages throughout the first half of the 20th century. This original façade will be integrated into the formal Niagara Street entrance of the new building as part of our efforts to retain the original architectural character of the building as well as complementing the historic structures in the neighborhood,” he said.

The new building will feature a small café area in the atrium of the structure accessible from the parking lot.

The site has a long local history dating back to the late 1800s when it was the Letchworth family mansion. It was purchased in 1917 by the Protestant Home for Unprotected Children using donations from supporters. The building, constructed in stages from 1890 to 1940, was used as a day center beginning in 1971, and renamed Longview Niagara in 1975.

The college currently owns a nearby building at 631 Niagara St. that houses alumni, advancement, human resources and publication offices.

During the past decade the private college has invested nearly 100 million dollars in the West Side campus for facilities improvements and a new academic center, all necessary for increased enrollment and new academic programs including pharmacy and chiropractic.

Uniland Development of Amherst has been retained by D’Youville to provide a ‘Design-Build’ process for the planning and construction of the building. The team for the project includes Stieglitz Snyder Architecture of Buffalo and M/E Engineering, headquartered in Rochester with offices in Buffalo.

Contact:

Edward Cogan at 829-8365 (cogane@dyc.edu)

 

View all news
TOP
Back To Top
©