All international students living in the United States can legally be employed.
Here is information about working in the U.S. while you're an international student (F-1) at D'Youville College.
- International students (enrolled full-time) can be employed on campus part-time (20 hours per week or less) while school is in session
- You can work full-time (35-40 per week or less) ONLY during winter and summer break.
- You may not work off campus unless you are authorized by the ISO to do so.
How to Get a Job on Campus:
- Work on campus is limited. D'Youville hires select students for their campus employment program:The Student Employment Program
- You must visit D'Youville's Connections Office (a good resource for students) in order to apply for the Student Employment Program
- If you are offered a job, you will need to apply for a U.S. federal social security number before you begin working.
Apply for a Social Security Number:
- Remember, you can only apply for a U.S. federal social security number if you have an offer of employment (job offer).
- To obtain a social security number, first complete the Social Security Number request form.
Then, you'll need to visit a nearby Social Security Office. As an F-1 student you should bring the following items with you when you go:
- valid passport
- valid I-94 card
- all of your original I-20's (your first one will have a red and blue immigration stamp)
- letters verifying your employment authorization (see below) **
- The ISO will provide these letters for you once you submit the Social Security Request Form
If you have offer of on-campus employment you'll also need to bring this:
- one letter from a "Designated School Official (DSO)." (This person is located in the ISO office. Ask them to print the letter on D'Youville letterhead, confirming your status as an F-1 student.
- one letter from the D'Youville Office where you'll be employed. Ask them to print the letter on D'Youville letterhead, verifying that you have secured employment.
Nearest Social Security Office to D'Youville Campus:SOCIAL SECURITY
186 EXCHANGE STREET
BUFFALO, NY 14204
HOURS: OPEN MONDAY - FRIDAY: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM, except Federal Holidays