Paying U.S. Taxes

All full-time international students living in the United States must file income taxes every year.

If you have earned income in the U.S. by working on or off campus

  • You must file a federal tax return by submitting a completed 1040NR form to the Internal Revenue Service. You must also submit and complete an IT-203 form to New York State.
  • If you are employed by the D'Youville Student Employment Program (SEP), you will be taxed on your earnings (federal tax codes require that $7.60 must be withheld from your pay every week).

If you have not earned income in the U.S.

  • If you were not employed but are living in the U.S. as an F-1 student, you file federal taxes using Form 8843.

Procedure for Filing Taxes (International Students)

  • If you're employed on or off campus, every January you will receive a W-2 form (a statement of your earnings and taxes withheld). Students who work on campus can pick up their W-2 forms from D'Youville's Student Accounts Office.
  • If you have received a room and board scholarship, which is considered taxable income, a 1042S will be issued. Please make sure to wait to file your taxes until you have received this form. The ISO will receive the statements from Human Resources and will contact you when they are available for pick up.
  • Remember to file your taxes no later than April 15th.

Attention Canadian Students

  • Every Canadian student will receive a TL11A tax form from the college. The TL11A will show the total tuition and fees that you paid for the year. TL11A forms are mailed to Canadian students in January.
  • If you do not receive your TL11A, you can pick it up in the Student Accounts Office.
  • If you worked at all in the U.S. during the year, you are required to file both a U.S. and Canadian tax return. If you haven't worked in the U.S. (but are a full-time student residing in the US), you must still fill out Form 8843 for exemption.
  • Canadian full or part time students that maintain residency in Canada and have not worked in the United States, are not required to file taxes.

Assistance With Filing Taxes

  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - Walk-in service is free at IRS Customer Service Centers. An office is located at 130 South Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY. It is open Monday through Friday, from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. For questions about refund checks, call 1(800) 829-4477 (toll free). For an automated line or for general questions, call 1(800) 829-1040 (toll free). To download tax forms and IRS Publication visit and the IRS web page for Foreign Scholars and Students.
  • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)
    The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally, $42,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. Most locations also offer free electronic filing. To locate the nearest VITA site, call 1 (800) 829-1040. ** Please make sure that you contact the VITA site beforehand to see if there is a certified volunteer that has the specialized foreign tax knowledge needed to file for F-1 students. Not all sites provide this service.

Use a commercial tax preparation service:

  • Renda and Renda- Starting at $75 and provide on campus service
    • 525 Aero Dr.  Cheektowaga, NY 14215 (716) 632-8597
  • Jackson Hewitt- Full-time student flat rate fee with college ID (ages 17-25): $89
    • 293 Grant Street Buffalo, NY 14213 (716) 886-3557
    • 583 Niagara Street #585 Buffalo, NY 14201 (716) 884-2969
    • 446 Main Street Buffalo, NY 14202 (716) 848-2980
  • Liberty Tax Service - Fees start at: $90
    • 360 Amherst Street Buffalo, NY 14207 (716) 874-1317

Helpful Tax Links



Helpful Links

Learn More

  • Employment

    International students can be employed on campus part-time (20 hours per week or less) while school is in session.
    Read more

  • Connections

    The Connections Office is your information and resource center. This is where you get your student ID card, parking pass, and much more.
    Read more

Back To Top