Visa Application

Applying For A Non-Immigrant U.S. Visa

You must obtain a U.S. visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy outside of the U.S. To learn about the application procedures, please consult the website of the U.S. Consulate/Embassy where you will apply for your visa. Visit to locate the correct website.

June, July, and August are the busiest months in most U.S. Consulates so interview appointments may be difficult to obtain during that period. To see the wait times for visas at particular U.S. Consulate, please check

What you need to apply for an F-1 student visa

The U.S. Department of State website lists detailed instructions regarding the forms, documents, etc. which are required for the visa application. It is important that you bring everything to your visa interview to avoid needless delays in the processing of your application.

Documents you will need to bring to the U.S. Consulate/Embassy:

  • Form DS-160 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form)
  • SEVIS Form I-20 from D'Youville College.
  • Valid passport (valid for at least 6 months beyond the intended duration of your visit to the U.S.)
  • One (1) photograph (50mm x 50mm) which meets the requirements specified at
  • Application fee.
  • Visa issuance fee (if required).
  • Proof of payment of SEVIS fee (Form I-901). (Usually from
  • Transcripts and diplomas from current and/or previous institutions.
  • Original score reports of standardized tests required by the school (e.g. TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT).
  • Original acceptance and scholarship letters from D'Youville College.
  • Financial evidence showing sufficient funds to cover educational and living expenses for the entire length of your program.
  • Documents showing your "non-immigrant intent" (i.e. documents which help to prove your ties to your home country and verify that you have no intentions of immigrating to the U.S.)
  • Other requirements as determined by your U.S. Consulate.

What is non-immigrant intent?

All applicants for F-1 Visas are required to demonstrate their intent to return to their home country following the completion of their studies or scholarly activities. There are several ways you demonstrate your intent to return home:

  • Be ready to explain clearly how you intend to utilize your degree or research experience at home after you finish your program.
  • Bring proof of ownership of any property (e.g. land, house, apartment) in your home country.
  • Bring bank statements for accounts you maintain in your home country.
  • Bring proof of a job offer or continuing employment in your home country.
  • Bring proof of your family's ties to your home country (e.g. property, business ownership, bank accounts or other assets) .

About Your Visa

Get to Know Us

  • Alumni Network

    When they graduate, our students join a network of over 19,000 DYC alumni across the world.
    Read more

  • Caring Faculty

    At D'Youville, you'll find faculty scholars who love to teach.
    Read more

  • Dynamic Campus

    Our beautiful campus offers plenty of green space and a dynamic urban setting.
    Take the tour

Back To Top