I-20 Canadian Resident

Getting Your I-20 - Permanent Residents of Canada

PLEASE NOTE: If you are not a Canadian citizen you are not allowed to attend school on a part-time basis. You must be enrolled full-time. Full-time for undergraduate and combined bachelor/master program students is 12 credit hours and for graduate students it is 9 credit hours.

How to Obtain your I-20 from D'Youville

  1. Be accepted into a program of study.
  2. Pay the deposit.
  3. Submit the International Student Financial Forms along with appropriate supporting documentation.
  4. Your I-20 will be mailed to you.
  5. Make a visa appointment at the US Consulate General in Toronto.

What to Bring to Your Visa Interview

  1. Your I-20 from D'Youville College.
  2. $200 SEVIS fee payment receipt (www.fmjfee.com)
  3. Your acceptance letter and any scholarship letters.
  4. Your original bank statements and any notarized "affidavit of support" forms
  5. Your passport and permanent resident card
  6. Passport size photos
  7. DS-160 https://ceac.state.gov/GENNIV/
  8. Non-refundable visa fee
  9. For more information please visit Advice for Visa Applicants

Port of Entry Procedures:

  1. You may not enter the United States after obtaining your F-1 visa, more than 30 days before the start of school as indicated on your I-20(#5).
  2. Please make sure that you have your I-20, passport, F-1 visa, financial forms, bank letter, I-901 receipt, and acceptance letter.
  3. You will let the port of entry know you are a student at D'Youville College and need to process your I-20.
  4. Please make sure to bring $6USD. You will be issued an I-94 and it will be stapled into your passport.
  5. After you process at the port of entry please stop by the International Student Office in the D'Youville Academic Center, Suite 219, to have the third page of your I-20 signed.
  6. Once you have officially obtained F-1 student status you will need to make sure you always carry your I-20, I-94, passport and visa when travelling in the United States, for the duration of your status.

Important Information for Canadian Students

US Customs Border Protection announces change in travel document requirements at land borders

Starting June 1, 2009, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative ("WHTI") will go into effect at land borders and sea ports of entry. This means that all travelers (including U.S. and Canadian citizens) will be required to present a WHTI-compliant document to enter the United States.

WHTI-compliant documents include: Passports, US Passport Cards, State or Province-Issued Enhanced Drivers Licenses, or Trusted Traveler Cards, such as NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST. Children under age 16 may present a birth certificate or alternative proof of citizenship.

We suggest that travelers prepare now and obtain the appropriate documents in anticipation of this change.

In the meantime, the two-document option (i.e. driver's license plus birth certificate) will continue to be accepted until June 1, 2009. Please note that travelers without acceptable documentation may face delays at the border.

At all times lawful permanent residents of the U.S. (green-card holders) should present evidence of immigration status when entering the United States, such as a Permanent Resident Card.

For more information please visit the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative web page.

Helpful Links


  • Need Help?

    Learn how to finance your education in the U.S., including scholarships, income taxes and how to calculate college costs.
    Read more

Back To Top