I-20 Canadian

Instructions Getting Your I-20 for Canadian Citizens

If you are not a Canadian citizen, please review the page that provides instructions for permanent residents of Canada and landed immigrants.

How to Obtain your I-20 from D'Youville

  1. Be accepted into a program of study.
  2. Pay the deposit.
  3. Submit the International Student Financial Forms along with appropriate supporting documentation.
  4. You will receive your I-20 either at registration or it will be mailed to you.
  5. As a Canadian citizen you are not required to obtain an F-1 student visa at a US consulate or embassy, but you are required to process the Federal Form I-20 at a US port of entry.

How to Process Your I-20


  1. Check over your I-20 and ensure that all information (name, birth date, country of birth and citizenship, course of study) is correct. If there are any errors, please contact the ISO at (716) 829-8119 or ext 8114.
  2. The SEVIS processing fee ($200US) must be paid BEFORE you go to the port of entry. You can fill out the I-901 form online and pay by credit card at www.fmjfee.com . We suggest that you pay online by credit card (you will receive an immediate receipt that you can take with you to the port of entry.) If you mail the payment to the address on the front of the I-901 form, you will have to wait for them to mail a receipt back to you, which could take up to three weeks. 
  3. Assemble your financial statements to prove that you have access to enough liquid assets to cover the total in item #8 on your I-20. Financial proof may include official bank statements (on bank letterhead), lines of credit, approved loans, or receipts from the college if you have already paid. Please also keep in mind that you must show proof that you have the capability to cover the entire length of the program. Please check the instructions on the International Student Financial Form.
  4. If you are sponsored by a parent, family member or employer you will need the notarized "Sponsor Affidavit" stating that they are willing to support your educational endeavor. The sponsor will need to show proof that they have access to enough money in liquid assets to cover the total in item #8c on your I-20 (See #3 above). They must also provide proof of capability to pay for the entire length of the program.
  5. To process your Federal Form I-20, you need to go to the Peace Bridge. Remember that you CANNOT process your I-20 more than 30 days before the start of class as listed in #5 on your I-20.
  6. When you reach the booth where the CBP officer asks where you are going, tell him or her that you are a D'Youville College student and you would like to process your SEVIS I-20. They will take your passport and your I-20. They will ask you to pull over to the right where another guard will be waiting.
  7. Once there, you must show your SEVIS I-20, photo identification, proof of citizenship, the $200 receipt from the I-901 form and your financial documents. They will stamp and return your I-20 with a small, white card (I-94). You will need $6 USD for the port of entry fee (I-94) THESE ARE VITAL DOCUMENTS – DO NOT LOSE THEM.
  8. After processing at the U.S. Port of Entry you will need to visit the International Student Office to have page 3 of your I-20 signed. Your I-20 isn't valid for re-entry until this is done.
  9. If you are attending school on a part-time basis your I-20 will be stamped "F-1", it will only be valid for one semester, and you will need to go through Step #6 EACH SEMESTER. Please remember that you will need to contact the ISO before the beginning of each semester. You CANNOT wait to pick up your I-20 after classes begin.  Part time students will also be required to turn over their I-94 after the completion of each semester.  You will receive a new I-94 card when you process your new I-20.
  10. If you are attending school on a full-time basis, your I-20 will be stamped "F-1" and you will need to go through Step #6 only once for your duration of status. You do, however, need to have page 3 of your I-20 signed each year.
  11. Carry the SEVIS I-20 and your I-94 with you EVERY TIME YOU CROSS INTO THE U.S. As you pull up to the booth, present your I-20, I-94 and passport to the CBP officer. This includes times when you are not going to class, but just visiting. Tell them you are a student, but you are visiting, going shopping, etc.
  12. If you plan on working in the US after you complete your program (Optional Practical Training), you must see the ISO BEFORE YOUR GRADUATION DATE.
  13. After you have completed your program at D'Youville, on your absolute last day when crossing back into Canada, hand the Canadian Customs official your I-94 (small white card) and tell them you are done with school. Keep your I-20.  Do not turn over your I-94 if you are applying for OPT.

Important Information for Canadian Students

US Customs Border Protection announces change in travel document requirements at land borders

Starting June 1, 2009, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative ("WHTI") will go into effect at land borders and sea ports of entry. This means that all travelers (including U.S. and Canadian citizens) will be required to present a WHTI-compliant document to enter the United States.

WHTI-compliant documents include: Passports, US Passport Cards, State or Province-Issued Enhanced Drivers Licenses, or Trusted Traveler Cards, such as NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST. Children under age 16 may present a birth certificate or alternative proof of citizenship.

We suggest that travelers prepare now and obtain the appropriate documents in anticipation of this change.

In the meantime, the two-document option (i.e. driver's license plus birth certificate) will continue to be accepted until June 1, 2009. Please note that travelers without acceptable documentation may face delays at the border.

At all times lawful permanent residents of the U.S. (green-card holders) should present evidence of immigration status when entering the United States, such as a Permanent Resident Card.

Helpful Links


  • Need Help?

    Learn how to finance your education in the U.S., including scholarships, income taxes and how to calculate college costs.
    Read more

Back To Top