What to Expect
Congratulations! You have obtained your F-1 student visa, made your flight arrangements, contacted the ISO and are coming for international student orientation. Here is what to expect when arriving at a US port of entry.
When arriving at a US port of entry
- Be sure to remember your I-20 and your passport.
- Do not enter on another school's certificate of eligibility.
- Do not attempt to enter the country on a visitor/tourist visa (B2).
- Expect to go through immigrations and customs when you reach the US port of entry.
- You may be required to go through pre-inspection procedures at certain airports abroad.
- Expect to have your fingerprints and a digital photograph taken.
- At the immigrations booth you will have to present your I-20, your passport, and F-1 visa. New electronic I-94 procedures have been put into place at all air and sea ports. There will no longer be a paper I-94 stapled into the passport. You will receive a detailed information sheet on how to access it electronically. The ISO will assist you when you arrive on campus. View more detailed information
Further port of entry information can be found on the Department of Homeland Security website.
Please let the International Student Office know immediately when you obtain your visa and what your flight plans are.