Travel & Re-Entry

F-1 Student Status and Travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean Islands


Here are the documents you'll need to re-enter the United States:

  • Valid Passport (you may need to have at least 6 months validity remaining on your passport. Please check with the International Student Office)
  • I-94
  • I-20 (Up to date signature on page 3)
  • US F-1 student visa

Note: Under the revalidation of visa benefit, individuals on nonimmigrant visas may re-enter the US with an expired visa after a stay of less than 30 days in Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean Islands


There are exceptions:

  • Individuals from Cuba, Iran, Sudan and Syria may not re-enter the U.S. with an expired visa.
  • Individuals whose visa applications have been denied may also not re-enter the U.S.

Visiting Canadian Temporary Resident Visa

If you are interested in visiting Canada, please visit the Canada Citizenship and Immigration website for more information on the application process.

Helpful Links


  • Need Help?

    Learn how to finance your education in the U.S., including scholarships, income taxes and how to calculate college costs.
    Read more

Back To Top