Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular practical training (CPT) is employment which is an integral part of the established curriculum of academic program and  which will be counted towards completion of your degree. CPT can also be a non-required course (that you are enrolled for) that is related to your field of study, in which you receive credit for work experience. For complete instructions and an application, review:

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is off-campus employment authorization that lets F-1 students get work experience in their major field of study. The amount of work you are permitted is a maximum of 12 months of full-time employment for each higher educational level you pursue in the U.S. You can use it during or after your studies. You can work for any employer, anywhere in the country. For complete details, requirements and an application, download the OPT document:

Helpful Links


  • Need Help?

    Learn how to finance your education in the U.S., including scholarships, income taxes and how to calculate college costs.
    Read more

  • Employment

    International students can be employed on campus part-time (20 hours per week or less) while school is in session.
    Read more

Back To Top