About Our Director
Center for Research on Physical Activity,
Sport & Health (CRPASH)
Don Sabo, Ph.D. is a Professor of Health Policy at D'Youville College, where he also founded and directs the Center for Research on Physical Activity, Sport & Health. He is the former Research Director of the Women's Sports Foundation, and currently serves as its Senior Health Policy Advisor. Professor Sabo is considered one of the most important empirical researchers in the United States on girls and women in sport, especially as related to youth sports, education and health, and the struggle for gender equity in sport.
He has directed and/or co-authored many nationwide research reports including:
- The Decade of Decline: Gender Equity in High School Sports (2012)
- Go Out and Play: Youth Sports in America (2008)
- Her Life Depends On It: Physical Activity and the Health and Well-Being of American Girls (2004)
- Health Risks and the Teen Athlete (2000)
- The Women's Sports Foundation Report: Sport and Teen Pregnancy (1998)
- The President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports Report: Physical Activity & Sport in the Lives of Girls (1997)
- The Women's Sports Foundation Gender Equity Report Card: A Survey of Athletic Opportunity in American Higher Education (1997)
- Race, Ethnicity, and Nation in Televised International Athletic Events (1995)
- Sports and Fitness in the Lives of American Working Women (1993)
- The Women's Sports Foundation Report: Minorities in Sport (1989)
Professor Sabo is the former president of the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport, and a frequently invited speaker and keynoter on campuses and for conferences. He keynoted a national conference on women's sports leadership at the U. of Minnesota's Tucker Center (2011), and is a featured speaker at an upcoming November 2012 national summit on youth sport and education at the LA84 Foundation. He was the 2009 NCAA Scholarly Colloquium, the AAHPERD Research Consortium Scholar Lecturer for 2009, and a keynoter at the 2009 Turnfest Congress in Frankfurt, Germany. Recently, He is an eye-to-eye scholar and a public intellectual who is regularly quoted by national media. He is a former NCAA Division I-A defensive football captain. He has appeared on television shows such as Oprah and The Today Show, and CNN Headline News.
Get to Know Us
Founded in 1908, D'Youville College has a long history that dates back over 100 years. Read more
Find out more about supporting CRPASH.
The Women's Sports Foundation is dedicated to advancing the lives of girls and women through sports and physical activity.
Visit the website
CRPASH operates as an organizational catalyst for interdisciplinary research projects.