Information about voting while you're a student at D'Youville College
Qualifications to Register to Vote
To be eligible to vote in New York State you must:
- be a United States citizen;
- be at least 18 years old on election day;
- live at your present address (including DYC dorms or student apartments) at least 30 days before an election.
Register to Vote (In-State Students)
In order to register to vote for elections in New York State, you must fill out a New York State Voter Registration Form. This form allows you to:
- Register to vote for the first time
- Change your name or address in your voter registration
- Become a member of a political party
- Change your party membership
The New York State Voter Registration Form is available online:
- Download the New York State Voter Registration Form (PDF) and mail it to the county in which you reside. D'Youville students who live on campus and wish to register their college address should mail the form to:
Erie County Board of Elections
134 West Eagle Street
Buffalo, New York 14202
You can also access the New York State Voter Registration Form in the following ways:
- Pick up a form at the Connections Office in the BFAC.
- Register in person at your county board of elections.
- Register in person at a wide variety of other New York State agencies.
- Request to have a New York State Voter Registration Form mailed to you through the Voter Registration Application Request Form.
- Call the 1-800-FOR-VOTE hotline to request a voter application.
Register to Vote (Out-of-State Students)
If you're an out-of-state student, use the National Mail Voter Registration Form (PDF) to register to vote while you're a student at D'Youville. You can also use the form to update registration information due to a change of name, make a change of address or to register with a political party.
After filling out the form, mail it to:
New York State Board of Elections
40 North Pearl Street, Suite 5
Albany, NY 12207-2729
Those students who would prefer to vote in their hometown election will have to request an absentee ballot. If you're a registered voter who will be physically unable to appear at the polls on Election Day, you're eligible to receive an absentee ballot. Applications for Absentee Ballots are available at your county board of elections.
Mail or deliver the New York State Voter Registration Form at least 25 days before the election you want to vote in. Your county will notify you that you are registered to vote. Visit the Board of Elections website to see the New York State Voter Registration Deadlines.
2015 General Election
The New York State Voter Registration Form must be postmarked by October 9 and received by a Board of Elections not later than October 14 to be eligible to vote in the General Election (November 3, 2015). This year's deadline is October 9, 2015.
You will receive a postcard in the mail indicating your polling place prior to Election Day. If you have not received this within approximately 2 weeks of the election, contact the Erie County Board of Elections.