How to Help

How to Help Your Students

What to Do

  • Be available. Let your residents know that they can come to you before problems arise.
  • Be aware. Pay attention to behavior changes. Talk to the resident's roommate, if possible, to confirm there have been changes. Talk to the resident to understand what is happening.
  • Take problems seriously. Do not trivialize problems even if they seem unimportant to you. (e.g., failing grades, relationship breakup, etc.)
  • Listen. Be willing to give your time to your residents. If concerned, ask directly if they have thought of harming or killing themselves.
  • Explain options. Let your residents know there is help available for them. (e.g., Personal Counseling Center)
  • Stay available. Continue to let residents know you are available.

What NOT to Do

  • Don't try to shock or challenge. ("Yeah, right. You're not going to do it.")
  • Don't analyze the person's motives. (You're just upset, because…")
  • Don't argue or try to reason. ("You can't kill yourself, because…")
  • Don't use guilt. ("Think of how bad your parents will feel.")
  • Don't console WITHOUT listening. ("I know how you feel. I flunked chemistry, too, but everything will work out.")
  • Don't abandon the student once they are receiving professional help.

Note: Students in emotional distress should always be taken seriously. During the day, contact the Personal Counseling Center at 829-7819. In the evening or during the weekend, call Crisis Services at 834-3131.

Contact Us

Personal Counseling Center
Campus location: Marguerite Hall, 1st FL
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Evening Hours by Appointment
Phone: (716) 829-7819

Kim Zittel, LMHC, NCC
Director, Personal Counseling Center
Licensed Mental Health Counselor
National Certified Counselor

Erin M. Moss, MA, LMHC-P
Mental Health Counselor

Isabel Molina, APRN BC
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner


  • Campus Ministry

    Our campus ministers are available for spiritual counseling and support
    Read more

  • Health Center

    The D'Youville College Health Center provides information, health counseling, and emergency treatment.
    Read more

  • Concerned?

    If you know a student who seems to be in trouble or may potentially harm themselves, report it to the Students of Concern Committee.
    Read more

  • Disabled?

    D'Youville's Disability Services Office can find you the resources you need for academic success.
    Read more

Back To Top