Graduation is a joyous occasion.
Every May, D'Youville holds one formal commencement ceremony (degree conferral) and Interfaith Hooding Service for students receiving bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees. We look forward to welcoming families and friends of D'Youville graduates to join in graduation festivities!
2015-16 Academic Year
The commencement ceremony for the 2015-2016 academic year will take place on Saturday, May 21, 2016, at 9 AM at Kleinhans Music Hall. Tickets are required due to limited seating.
Thursday, May 19, 10:00 AM rehearsal
Location: Kleinhans Music Hall
Alumni Association Lunch
Lunch at 11:30 AM
Location: Kuhrt Dining Hall, College Center
Lunch is free of charge for graduates and family members who are D’Youville alumni. There is a $15 cost for other friends and family who would like to attend with you.
Reservations are required. Reserve your spot by Friday, May 13, 2016.
Interfaith Hooding Service
Friday, May 20, 7:30 PM, lineup begins at 7:00 PM
Holy Angels Church
348 Porter Ave
Buffalo, NY 14201
About the Interfaith Hooding Service
D'Youville College's Interfaith Hooding Service reflects both the religious traditions of the college and the academic degree that each student earns.
At this ecumenical service, each student has the academic hood placed upon them by a faculty member, which represents the student's official entrance into the academic community. The hood itself bears the colors of D'Youville College (red and white), as well as the special colored velvet trim noting your field of academic achievement.
Register to Participate
To participate in the Interfaith Hooding Service, graduating students must contact Lori Stutzman by Monday, April 11, 2016 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-829-8100.
Saturday, May 21, 9:00 AM, lineup begins at 8:15 AM. Doors open at 8:00 AM.
Location: Kleinhans Music Hall
Tickets are required
Tickets are required. Each graduating student who registers their attendance will receive a total of five tickets, which includes one for him or herself. Each graduating student will also receive five graduation announcements.
Register to Participate
Students must contact Lori Stutzman by Monday, April 11, 2016, to indicate whether they will or will not attend: email@example.com or (716) 829-8100.
Download the Graduation Information Packet (PDF), which has all of the information and forms you'll need to graduate.
Those eligible to participate in the commencement are:
- December 2015 graduates
- May 2016 graduates
- August 2016 graduates
Please note that certificate-only students are not eligible.
No matter when you graduate (May, August or December), D'Youville holds one formal graduation ceremony for undergraduate and graduate students.
Any student (undergraduate or graduate) who completes their studies the prior December is eligible to take part in the May graduation ceremony of that academic year. For example, a student who completes their degree program in December 2015 is eligible to attend the May 2016 commencement activities.
Please note: Your name will appear in the graduation program as a December graduate.
Those students (undergraduate or graduate) who anticipate completing their degree program by August are eligible to attend the May graduation ceremony. For example, a student who completes their degree program in August 2016 is eligible to attend the May 2016 commencement activities.
Please note: Your name will appear in the graduation program as an August graduate. You will not receive your diploma until all program requirements are completed.
Check with the Registrar
All students must be cleared by the Office of the Registrar to be certain that they have completed all the requirements for graduation or can realistically complete the requirements for their degree by August at the latest. Inclusion in the graduation program is solely determined by the Registrar.
Congratulation on your upcoming graduation! Follow the steps below to make sure you stay on track to graduate.
- Confirm that your major is listed correctly in STACI. What is listed in STACI is the major and degree that will appear on your diploma and in the graduation program. If you are in two majors or 2 degree programs or have a minor, these will also be listed in STACI. If your degree/major/minor is listed incorrectly or not listed on STACI, contact the Office of the Registrar.
- Confirm that your full name is listed correctly in STACI. This is the way your name will appear on your diploma and in the graduation program.
To apply to graduate, you'll need to complete the Application for Graduation (PDF) and submit it to the Office of the Registrar at the beginning of the semester prior to the semester in which you intend to graduate. If you're a senior, that means you'll submit your application at the start of the fall semester of your last year.
If you have two majors or will be receiving two degrees, please submit an application for each major/degree.
Completion of the Application for Graduation establishes you as a degree candidate and initiates a review of your credentials. You will receive notification from your advisor only if you are missing any requirements.
Please keep in mind the following deadlines as you prepare for the graduation ceremony and related events.
Monday, April 11
- Last day to place your cap & gown order with the College Bookstore.
Monday, April 11
- Deadline for notifying Vice President for Student Affairs regarding your attendance at the Interfaith Hooding Service and/or Commencement ceremony. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, CC119, 716-829-8100.
- Deadline to clear your account with the Student Accounts Office, KAB 211, 716-829-7877 and with the Library, 716-829-7618.
Monday, April 11 to Monday, May 2
- Pick up your Commencement tickets and announcements from Lori Stutzman, secretary to the Vice President for Student Affairs, CC 119, 716-829-8100. Please contact us if you cannot pick them up during regular office hours, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, and need special arrangements.
- Each graduate will receive five tickets and announcements, including one of each for yourself.
Monday, May 2
- Last day to return the press release form which allows for release of information about your graduation to your local media sources. Return to Lori Stutzman, CC119.
Friday, May 13
- Deadline to make your reservation for the Graduate Lunch. For more information, contact the Alumni Office, 631 Niagara Street, 716-829-7806.
Monday, May 2 to Friday, May 19
- Pick up academic regalia from the College Bookstore, 716-829-7666.
Thursday, May 19
- 10 AM to 11:30 AM - Interfaith Hooding Service & Commencement Rehearsal, Kleinhans Music Hall, four blocks east on Porter Avenue
- 11:30 AM to 2 PM - Graduate Lunch, compliments of the Alumni Association. Make your reservation for the lunch. Kuhrt Dining Hall, College Center.
Friday, May 20
- 7 PM - Line up for Interfaith Hooding Service, 1st floor, Koessler Administration Building (KAB). Please be prompt.
- 7:30 PM - Interfaith Hooding Service, Holy Angels Church.
- 9 PM - Reception, Blue Lounge, College Center
Saturday, May 21
Academic Attire Order
You are required to have academic attire to participate in the Interfaith Hooding Service and Commencement events.
For women, academic attire includes the academic gown, hood, cap and dark shoes, preferably black. A dark dress or slacks and blouse are highly recommended.
For men, this attire consists of the academic gown, hood, cap, tie, shirt, dress slacks and dark shoes, preferably black.
The academic hood is not worn until it is officially placed on each student by a faculty member at Friday's Interfaith Hooding Service.
The tassel is worn on the left side until the very end of the graduation ceremony.
The cap, gown and hood that is required for the Interfaith Hooding Service and Commencement will be available from the College Bookstore on a sales basis only.
The cost for graduate's academic regalia (cap, gown, and hood) is as follows:
- Bachelor degrees: $91.14**
- Master degrees: $105.81**
- Doctoral degrees: $151.90**
Students must place orders by Monday, April 11
The regalia will be ready for pickup at the College Bookstore between May 2 and May 19.
If you place orders via e-mail or our website, please give us your name, highest degree you’re getting, and your specific area of academic achievement.