Back To Top


Sydney Opera House

Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions

Where does D'Youville have Study Abroad Programs?

Through an affiliation agreement with CAPA, D'Youville offers seven programs each fall, spring and summer semesters. D'Youville also offers shorter faculty-led summer programs. These programs vary from year to year.

What are the differences between affiliation, exchange and faculty-led programs?

Exchange programs involve the exchange of students between D'Youville College and a university overseas. Each student will pay their usual DYC tuition and will pay the exchange university the costs for room and board. Affiliation means you will travel overseas with a third party provider that D'Youville has a signed contract with. You will pay the cost of that program, which will include your tuition and housing, through your student account at D'Youville. You will remain a registered DYC student and receive credit through D'Youville. Faculty led programs are much shorter in duration and currently run only in the summer. You will be registered for the particular course that is tied to the faculty led study abroad program. You will pay DYC summer tuition and additional fees will be charged to your student account for the study abroad experience.

Who is eligible to study abroad?

If you have maintained a grade point average of at least 2.5, you are probably eligible to study abroad, but please check with the Director of International Student Services. You should also discuss your plans to study abroad with the academic study abroad coordinator, Dr. John Abbarno and with your faculty advisor. They can help you decide which semester is most academically appropriate, and which program offerings are best suited to your major.

When should I start planning my study abroad experience?

Many people begin their search the semester before they plan to go away. Our office recommends starting the planning process as early as your freshman year or at least 9-12 months before you plan to study abroad. This will help you academically prepare for your semester away and give you ample opportunity to research and apply for outside scholarships.

How do I apply?

Applications can either be picked up in person from International Student Services, DAC Suite 219 or download the Study Abroad Application (PDF).

When are applications due?

Applications for the affiliation programs are due:
  • Summer Program - by March 1st
  • Fall Program - by April 15th
  • Spring Program - by October 1st
Application deadlines for the exchange programs vary from year to year. Please check this website for up to date information on each location.

Can I use my financial aid?

D'Youville will allow you to use your institutional merit scholarships and financial aid for the affiliation and exchange programs, but please make an appointment with James Nowak, Director of Financial Aid, at 716-829-7500 to discuss eligibility and requirements.

Are there outside scholarships available?

There are many outside scholarships available. We have compiled a list of scholarship opportunities. If you are studying on a CAPA affiliated program, there is an opportunity to apply for up to a $5,000 scholarship. More information and applications can be found at

Do I need to speak a foreign language?

No. Some of the affiliated programs (Florence and Beijing) do offer language instruction if you choose to register for those courses. Please note that the Hungarian exchange program at BBI does have 640 language instruction hours built into the course curriculum.

Will studying abroad delay my graduation?

If you plan carefully with your faculty advisor and the study abroad academic coordinator to receive approval for your courses taken abroad, studying abroad should not delay your graduation.

How will studying abroad affect my GPA?

If you are studying through any of the affiliation or faculty led programs, your courses and grades will appear on your transcript and will be counted towards your GPA.

Will I need health insurance?

Yes, it is mandatory for each D'Youville study abroad student to have international health insurance. International Student Services will enroll you for HTH Worldwide Insurance program and apply this charge to your student bill.

Will I need a passport and a visa?

Every student studying abroad will require a passport, but not every student will require a visa. Visa requirements will depend upon the country of study and you will be responsible for obtaining the appropriate visa. International Student Services and CAPA will provide valuable advice and assistance. Please be aware that some students may have to travel to the nearest embassy or consulate and appear for the visa interview in person. A passport is mandatory before application for a visa.

Is it safe to study abroad?

International Student Services maintains close contact with its overseas affiliates and exchange institutions to help ensure the personal safety and security of each of our study abroad participant. We will review health and safety concerns during our pre-departure orientation and answer any questions you may have. There are also on-site program directors and personnel available to assists students at any time.

What types of housing options will I have?

Living accommodations will vary depending on the program and country you are choosing to study in. Some students will live with host families, others in dormitories on campus and some will live in off-campus apartment-style housing. More information about housing is available through  International Student Services.

How can I get more information?

Contact Us

The Center For Global Engagement

Location: DAC 219

Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM

Laryssa Petryshyn
Associate Vice President, Global Education
Phone: 716-829-8119

Ann Soares
Advisor, International Student Services and Study Abroad
Phone: 716-829-8114