The Learning Center provides free professional and peer tutoring for D'Youville students.
When should you sign up for tutoring? If you are earning C’s and you want to earn B’s and A's; if you find that your coursework is difficult to comprehend; or if you are failing tests and quizzes and are overwhelmed with the amount of work that you are required to complete, tutoring can help.
Tutoring is most effective when it occurs consistently throughout the semester.
Tutoring is available for most courses and in the following areas:
Reading & Writing
- Improve skills and to increase their competence in their coursework
- English as a Second Language (ESL) skills
- Instruction is individualized to take into account the current academic needs of the student.
- Professional writing tutors are also available for 30 minute or one hour tutorials by appointment.
- The Intensive English Program at D'Youville provides free English tutoring to all students.
- Chemistry tutorials may be given in individual or group sessions based on student demand and instructor availability.
Group tutoring is offered when several students request tutoring for the same subject. The tutor who is hired will facilitate the group and arrange the sessions.
Mary Applegate: writing specialist, adjunct instructor, test preparation, test taking, test anxiety
Tina Bampton: reading/writing specialist
Bruce Cramer: reading/writing specialist, study skills, test preparation, memorization skills, time management, research projects
Marvyn Mahle: ESL
Mary Ellen Moriarty: reading/writing specialist, study skills, test taking, note taking, time management, ESL language development
Edward Weidenbach: reading/writing specialist
Peer tutoring can help you excel in a class by providing one-on-one or group assistance. The Learning Center also arranges tutoring for various courses by undergraduate students. Contact us to learn more about peer tutoring.
FAQs About Tutoring
Services are by appointment only. For professional tutoring make an appointment online. Tutor requests are generally processed within three days.
Fill out the tutor request form (PDF) and return it to KAB 414 or go directly to KAB 414 to make a request. Tutor requests are generally processed within three days.
Yes. If you would like to be a peer tutor please complete an application (PDF) and return it to the Learning Center (KAB 414).
In order to qualify to be a tutor, students need to maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher and a grade of B+ or better in the course/s they would like to tutor.