Field experience is an integral part of your preparation to become a teacher. During this experience, you'll have the opportunity to put what you’ve learned during your coursework into practice in the classroom while working closely with an experienced teacher.
Because we believe that our field experience is so important, we've developed a system that emphasizes ongoing support, rigorous assessment, and intensive collaboration with the schools where our students are placed. If you’d like to learn more about how what you’ll experience during your fieldwork, our Field Experience Manual (PDF) is a good place to start. We've developed the Manual to guide associate teachers, college supervisors, and teacher candidates through their practicum experiences, providing essential information about the experience including:
- Standards of performance and conduct
- Roles of field experience supervisors
- Required assignments
- Field experience rubrics
- Performance report
- Evaluation forms
- Self-assessment form
- Video evaluation form
- Assignment tracking form
During your field experience, you'll be supervised by both the Associate Teacher you work with on a daily basis as well as your College Supervisor at D’Youville who's responsible for making sure that you get the most out of your experience by maintaining integrity with the program as described in the Field Experience Manual while supporting a professional, nurturing relationship between the teacher candidate, themselves, and the Associate Teacher working with the candidate.
If you'd like to learn more about the role of the College Supervisor during the field experience, please review the College Supervisor's Handbook (PDF).
If you want to find out more about what will be expected of you as a teacher candidate during your field experience, one of the best ways is to learn how you’ll be evaluated. The documents below represent the instruments that will be used by your Associate Teacher and your College Supervisor to evaluate your performance during your student teaching experience.
- Associate Teacher Evaluation (PDF)
- Associate Teacher Evaluation (DOC)
- Associate Teacher Written Evaluation Form (PDF)
- Associate Teacher Written Evaluation Form (DOC)
- Formative Evaluation Form: College Supervisor (PDF)
- Formative Evaluation Form: College Supervisor (DOC)
- Field Experience Rubric: College Supervisor (PDF)
- Field Experience Rubric: College Supervisor (DOC)
- Assignment Tracking Form (PDF)
- Assignment Tracking Form (DOC)
If you're ready to begin preparing for your field experience, please download and complete the appropriate forms.
- Application for Education Field Placement (MS Word)
- Application for Education Field Placement (PDF)
- Student Profile (MS Word)
- Student Profile (PDF)
This application packet file includes instructions, field placement application form, student profile form and field placement preference request form.
Click the link to view the file in your browser window, or right-click (ctrl-click) to save the document to your computer.