Read and watch the latest publications and news stories from and about the Disaster Research Lab at D'Youville.
In the Media
- 'We're working without a playbook': Researchers study how people respond to Covid-19, The Buffalo News, November 16, 2020
- North State Public Radio (NPR Affiliate) COVID-19 Special Coverage, July 3, 2020
- How are your coping with the coronavirus pandemic?, WKBW (ABC Buffalo), April 24, 2020
- America’s Heartland is Expected to Flood Again but this Time Amid Coronavirus, Grist, April 6, 2020
- Some Science for a COVID-19 Cure Comes from Epidemiologists, Spectrum News, March 24, 2020
- Wake Up: Dr. Lauren Clay speaks on improving family health post-disaster, WIVB (CBS Buffalo), March 24, 2020
- More than a year after Florence, many people still need help feeding their families, News & Observer (Raleigh, North Carolina), December 6, 2019
- New study looks at Hurricane Florence impacts on food chain, Sun Journal (New Bern, North Carolina), January 11, 2019
Bowling Together: Community social institutions protective against poor child mental
Clay, L.A. & Abramson, D.M. (in press)
Awareness Is Not Enough: Frequent Use of Water Pollution Information and Changes to
Sustainability. 2020; 12(20):8695
Ross AD, Hotard A, Kamalanathan M, Nolen R, Hala D, Clay LA, Kaiser K, Quigg A.
Factors Associated with Food Insecurity Following Hurricane Harvey in Texas
International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(3), 762.
Clay, L.A., Ross, A.D. (2020)
Field report: Issues in the post-disaster food environment during the immediate response
to Hurricane Florence
Disaster Prevention and Management, 29(3), 379-389.
Clay, L. (2019)
Does Preparedness Matter? The Influence of Household Preparedness on Disaster Outcomes
During Superstorm Sandy.
Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, 14(1), 71-79.
Clay, L., Goetschius, J., Papas, M., Trainor, J., Martins, N., & Kendra, J. (2019)
Association between long-term stressors and mental health distress following the 2013
Moore tornado: a pilot study
Journal of Public Mental Health, 18(2), 124-134.
Clay, L. and Greer, A. (2019)
Factors Associated with Continued Food Insecurity among Households Recovering from
International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(8), 1647.
Clay, L., Papas, M., Gill, K., & Abramson, D. (2018)
Capital Assets and Rural Resilience: An Analysis of Texas Communities Impacted by
Journal of Natural Resources Policy Research, 8(1-2), 154-186.
Ross, A.D., Clay, L. A. (2018)
Learning from historic disaster response: reviewing old lessons on disaster mental
Risk, Hazards & Crisis in Public Policy, 9(3), 303-331.
Clay, L. A., Greer, A., & Kendra, J. (2018)
Application of a theoretical model toward understanding continued food insecurity
post hurricane Katrina.
Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, 12(1), 47-56.
Clay, L. A., Papas, M. A., Gill, K., & Abramson, D. M. (2017)
Social Capital, Neighborhood Disorder, and Disaster Recovery.
Journal of Emergency Management, 15(4), 233-246.
Clay, L., Papas, M., Abramson, D., & Kendra, J. (2017)
Influence of mental health on disaster preparedness: findings from the behavioral
risk factor surveillance system, 2007–2009.
Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, 11(3), 375-392.
Clay, L. A., Goetschius, J. B., Papas, M. A., & Kendra, J. (2014)
Research and Policy Briefs
"Primary and Secondary Health Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic on New Yorkers (May-June 2020)", in National Food Access and COVID Research Team (NFACT) - New York, Clay, L. Rogus, S. Gadhoke, P. (2020)
For questions and opportunities, connect with the Disaster Research Lab.