Bachelor's Degree (BA)
The philosophy major is designed to develop communication, critical thinking and reasoning skills to prepare you for career paths, including law, government and education.
D'Youville College's Philosophy program focuses on examining ideas which have shaped our intellectual heritage. The coursework is designed to develop strong analytical, critical thinking and writing skills. You'll learn to analyze, compare and evaluate ideas in order to formulate policies on personal and social levels.
The Philosophy major leads to a Bachelor of Arts degree. An internship and senior research project are requirements of the program.
- Gain research experience by working with D'Youville College faculty on a research topic in either theoretical or social values in your senior year.
- Get individualized attention in small classes taught by faculty with national reputations in the field.
- Build your resume with professional internships at nonprofit agencies, corporations or federal, state or local government offices, while gaining perspective on a future career.
- Flexible requirements for the major means you can customize the curriculum to suit your future career goals, such as taking a second major.
- Strong interdisciplinary coursework provides an excellent basis for graduate study or law school. Add a minor to further strengthen your background.
Note to applicants: Be sure to check out the application and admission requirements for the philosophy program.
Build your resume with professional internships while gaining perspective on a future career. Read more
At D'Youville, you'll find faculty scholars who love to teach. Read more
Gain research experience by working with faculty on a research topic in either theoretical or social values in your senior year. Read more
We've invested over $40 million in our campus, including a new academic center, gymnasium, library and apartment-style residence hall. Read more