The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) provides supportive services and financial aid to New York State residents attending independent colleges and universities in New York State.
D'Youville College's AOE HEOP program is sponsored jointly through a grant from NYS Education Department and D'Youville College.
Who is eligible?
- Students who have been New York State residents for one year preceding entry into HEOP
- First-time college students or HEOP/EOP transfers from an approved opportunity program
- Students who are economically disadvantaged
- Students who are academically underprepared
- Students with potential and motivation for the successful completion of college
How do I apply?
- Complete a D'Youville College Application.
- Indicate interest in HEOP by checking the box in the guidance counselor's recommendations section on the paper application or by typing a request to receive information on HEOP in the comment section on the last page of the online application.
- Fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- A HEOP staff member will contact you to request income documentation.
What does HEOP provide?
- Summer orientation, a four-week residential program, is required for all entering HEOP students. This orientation, known as EXCEL at D'Youville, is designed to assist students in developing essential college-level skills in math, reading, writing, and to orient you to college life.
- Supportive services are provided during the academic year. The program provides developmental courses to strengthen your reading, writing, vocabulary, and study skills.
- Tutorial services are conducted on a one-to-one basis or in groups, depending on your individual needs.
- Academic, personal, and career counseling is provided to assist HEOP students with any problems that may interfere with your academic work.
- Financial assistance is provided to help meet the cost of college attendance.
If you have questions, please contact the HEOP office at (716) 829-7772.