Mission and Vision
Department of Education
The mission of D'Youville College's Department of Education is to collaboratively enhance public and non-public education through the preparation of reflective practitioners and by advancing professional practices. We are committed to educational equity; intellectual, cultural and spiritual diversity; life-long learning; innovative scholarly production; and compassion for and commitment to the communities we serve. We demonstrate a commitment to shared governance, student-centered education, collaboration, professionalism and social justice.
The Department of Education will be a leader in the preparation of professionals who are committed to positive change in public and non-public education. Our unique programs, candidates, graduates and affiliate professionals will demonstrate relevant knowledge, skills and dispositions within and for the profession. We are dedicated to the pursuit of excellence, providing and preserving educational equity and enhancing human dignity and self-determination.
- Teaching and learning are the focus of our work
- We create and perpetuate an inclusive community that reflects and affirms diversity
- Shared governance is the basis for all work of the Department and depends upon rights, responsibilities, and rewards attributable to the active involvement of each member
- Professionalism is a unifying principle of the Department of Education
- Professional Ethics
- Compassion and Commitment to Community
- Educational Equity and Social Justice
- Reflective Teaching/Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Life-Long Learning
-adopted by the faculty of the Department of Education on September 14, 2009